Friday, August 7, 2015

PRETTY FLY FOR A WHITE GUY


I am having one of those amazing days or should I say nights where I have spent the last couple of hours vegetating by myself. Its 3 am, and I am on the longest train ride I have ever taken, I slept all day, and now 3 movies later I am still very awake listening to arctic monkeys. I decided that it the next instalment of my blog was long over due, so here it is.

It’s hard to find alone time, there always seems to be work, boyfriend, family or friend commitments to fulfill. Anyway for this train ride I will partake of the pleasures of being alone without any immediate work.
 So first and foremost there is the boyfriend – he will be six months old sometime soon, and has not had one mention on the blog, such a faux pas!!

I have thought of a thousand ways to introduce the new man in my life. I have several unfinished blog entries that attempt an introduction. But it’s very difficult to write about this for many reasons:

1. The boy in question could read it and think I was more into him than I would like him to believe.
2.  I could end up sounding soppy and romantic and smug. Therein becoming a person that myself from three months ago would have wanted to punch in the face.
3. And introducing a boyfriend on a blog is like turning on the, I’m in a relationship button on fb. The world will now know.  I mean most of the world already does.

So here goes….

I don’t have some epic, crazy, whirlwind romance story of how I met the new man. It irks me to tell people we met on the internet as if it somehow diminishes the relationship in some way. But the truth is that is exactly where we met. He messaged me on OKC (the online dating site I was on), he refused to comply with the rigorous screening process I put all the other men through. All the questions I asked him were deflected and I was told I would get all my answers when I met him. I figured, maybe this was him just being a cocky American. Curious I met him. I had little or no expectation that this would lead into anything serious.

One date, quickly led to another, and before I knew it I was helping the boy set up home. We bought jars and shelves and other household things and I felt like I was nesting and it was great. They say you can tell a great deal about a person from the jars they choose for their kitchen; all I could tell was that I really enjoyed spending someone else’s money to go shopping.

Now, once he had everything his house needed I did my duty as a good Indian and went onto introduce this foreigner to all things Indian. I tool him on a local train, made him eat a gola. I took him to Crawford market!!! I even decided to try teaching him some hindi, I myself am at a basic beginners level of hindi but I enthusiastically try. Now every time we are in an auto and he tells the driver aagey se u-turn le lo I feel a strange sense of pride while the auto drivers are left shell shocked.

And these are the fun and charming things, and when they happen you laugh but then there are the weird things.

Like the time we went to small mallu joint to eat a sadhiya thali, I was the only woman in there. A bunch of boys were obviously staring. They stayed long after they had finished their meal and were making me nervous. I was convinced, I the sole woman there must be the reason of their interest. Until one of them garnered the courage to get up and ask the white boy if he could take a selfie with him. In a few minutes I was left with the camera taking pictures as the whole table took pictures with my bf.

Ego=Crushed.

Anyway for lack of a better word the cultural mix-ups that can range from frustrating to hilarious are many. Promise more soon.

Till next time. That’s all folks.


No comments:

Post a Comment